The Trachyspermum ammi (ajwain) is thought to have originated in the Asia minor or Persia regions, from where it spread to the Indian subcontinent. The plant is a small, cool season annual herb, which grows up to two to three feet in height. It features tiny white-petal flowers in umbels that develop into small, oval-shaped seeds that are ready for harvest by the end of winter or early spring. Ajwain seeds are olive green to brown in color, have similar appearance to cumin or caraway seeds with vertical stripes on their outer surface. However, they can be easily distiguished by thier elliptical shape and tiny size. Their flavor closely resembles that of thyme, since they comprise an essential oil, thymol.
Ajma is also known as Bishop's weed or carom seeds. Ajwain seeds are aromatic. They contain thymol which gives it a hot, bitter and pungent taste. The plant is native to India and Middle east ans is used in medicine as well as cooking. Ajwain is helpful for pacifying Vata and Kapha and increasing Pitta. According to Ayurveda, ajwain is a powerful cleanser. It is helpful for stimulating the appetite and enhancing digestion. It is recommended to help alleviate gas and discomfor in the stomach. Ajwain helps alleviate pain and inflammation due to rheumatic anf arthritic disease, headache in sinusitis and migraines. They are known to be effective in treating respiratory disorders like bronchitis, chest congestion etc.
Home Remedies Receipes
- If you have cough, Chew little ajwain and drink hot water, cough will subside.
- A teaspoon of ajwain with a little rock salt is a household remedy for indigestion.
- People have gastric problems, take 2 big spoon of curd,add 1 tbs of Ajwain powder and half gram of black salt.
- For lack of appetite, Take ¼ tbs Hing(asafoetida), ¼ tbs dry ginger powder, ¼ tbs pepper powder, ¼ tbs, Ajwain(ajmo), ¼ tbs jeeru(anel seeds) powder, ¼ tbs Shahjeeru, ¼ tbs Sindhav rock salt, mix well and keep one tbs with butter milk before lunch.
- For dull skin, Take ½ tbs Ajwain, mix it with ½ tbs jaggery and 1/2 tbs cow ghee, take this three times a day.
- For menstrrul problems, Take 2 cup of water, add 1 tbs ajwain and soak it for whole night. In the morning boil is water till half make it cool add ½ tbs of jaggery take this in the morning and in the afternoon after 2 hours of lunch. Take these 3 days before the menstrual cycle.
Ajwain, Ginger, Rock salt, curd , Gokshur, jeera, Saijeera, Butter milk, jaggery
Trachyspermum Ammi, Carum copticum
Ajwain, ajowan, ajwan, ova, ajmoda, ajma, jowan, ajmola, oma, omu, carom