The tree is small to medium in size, reaching 8 to 18 m in height, with a crooked trunk and spreading branches. The branchlets are glabrous or finely pubescent, 10–20 cm long, usually deciduous; the leaves are simple, subsessile and closely set along branchlets, light green, resembling pinnate leaves. The flowers are greenish-yellow. The fruit is nearly spherical, light greenish yellow, quite smooth and hard on appearance, with six vertical stripes or furrows. Ripening in autumn, the berries are harvested by hand after climbing to upper branches bearing the fruits. The taste of Indian gooseberry is sour, bitter and astringent, and it is quite fibrous. It is one plant that stands out for its ethnic, ethnobotanical and ethnopharmaceutical use. The fruits are of small size and light green in colour. They have six vertical grooves in them & a seed inside. The taste of the fruit can be described as strong, harsh and rough.
Amla is a powerhouse of benefits. Amla has been considered the best of rejuvenative herbs because of its Tridoshaghna. It stimulates the brain to rebalance the three main components of all phsysiological functions, the water, the fire and air elements within the body. it has been traditionally used to support digestion, heart health, healthy vision, hair growth and enlighten the body. Its antioxidant properties is due to the tanins that help fight free radicals. Amla enhances food absorption, balances tomach acid, fortifies the liver, nourishes the brain and mental functioning, supports the heart, stregthens lungs, regulates elimination, supports urinary system, is good for skin, promotes healthy hair, acts as a detoxification agent, strengthens eyes, improves muscle tone.
Home Remedies Receipes
- Taking a mixture of 1 tsp. amla powder & 2 tsp. jaggery twice a day helps in rheumatism relief.
- Amla powder mixed with honey and taken everyday is good for eye sight
- Prepare a paste with amla powder (dry amla pieces and make powder) and a teaspoon of honey and lick it twice daily, it is an effective home remedy for cough.
- For Blood purification, take ½ tbs Harde, ½ tbs Behada, ½ tbs Amla powder and ½ tbs sugar powder , add powder of one cardamom...mix well and take it with lukewarm water.
- For anaemia, take 2 spoons of Amla juice with 1 spoon of Cow Ghee, mix it well and eat it.
- For healthy hair, take a tablespoon of dried amla powder and boil it in 2-3 tablespoon of coconut oil. After straining the oil, massage it on your scalp. You can leave this oil in your hair overnight and then wash it off with shampoo next morning.
- Mix 1 tsp of Indian gooseberry juice with a tsp of almond oil and few drops of lime juice. Apply this mixture on your hair and keep it overnight. In the morning, wash the hair. This is an effective home remedy for treating premature grayling of hair.
Amla powder, Jaggery, Honey, Harde, Baheda, Cow Ghee, Coconut oil, Almond oil, Lime Jucie, Sugar, cardamon, amla juice
Emblica officinalis, Phyllanthus emblica
Emblic, Emblic myrobalan, Indian gooseberry, Dhatrik, Amla, Awala, Avlo, Amalika