The ashoka is a rain-forest tree. Its original distribution was in the central areas of the Deccan plateau, as well as the middle section of the Western Ghats in the western coastal zone of the Indian subcontinent. The ashoka is prized for its beautiful foliage and fragrant flowers. It is a handsome, small, erect evergreen tree, with deep green leaves growing in dense clusters.Its flowering season is around February to April. The ashoka flowers come in heavy, lush bunches. They are bright orange-yellow in color, turning red before wilting.
The tree is popular for its medicinal properties. Shoka means grief. Ashoka mean one that relieves pain and grief of womenCompound of organic calcium, tannin, sterol and catechol are contained in the bark. Ashoka pacifies kapha and pitta and is useful in the management of all the problems resulting from the aggrevation of kapha and pitta. It contains estrogenic compound ketosterol which is effective against menstrula disorder like menorrhagia, dysmenorrhoea etc. Ashoka also improves digestion and assimilation.
Home Remedies Receipes
- To regulate menstrual cycle and treat other gynaecological disorders. Make Ksheerapaka of ashoka bark. Boil 6 gm ashoka bark in 500 ml cow milk and 500 ml water till it reduces to half. Add some sugar and filter it. Drink this regularly, it is suggested to drink it daily for 3 days in every three months for normal menses.
- To heal fractured bones, make paste of bark by soaking it in water for whole night and apply on affected area. This will help in recovery and provide relief from all kinds of pain.
- Grind dried ashoka flower by adding some water. Extract 20-60 drops and consume it twice daily to get relief from blood sugar.
- Take 1-2 gms ashoka seeds powder daily to control excessive urinating problems
- A decoction made from the bark of Arjuna is also a good home remedy to treat tuberculosis cough.
Ashoka powder, Milk, honey
Saraca asoca, Saraca indica
Sita ashoka, Asok, Ashoka, ashopallav, asupala, kankelim, vishoka, vichitra, madhupushpa, pindipushpa, oshok, hemapushpa, vanjula