The herb known as the Ashwaganda is a small plant in the same plant family as the common garden tomato. This plant is a stout shrub which can grow to a height of about five feet-170 centimeters-when fully matured. The ashwaganda is similar to the tomato, in that it too bears yellow flowers and has a red colored fruit, the fruit is however, berrylike in size and shape and the resemblance to the berry of tomato is not very easy to recognize. This herb is endemic to south Asia, and the ashwaganda grows abundantly in the wild in countries like India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka-all of which are in south Asia and share a similar climate. Herbal remedies make use of all the parts of this particular herb-and many different herbal medicines are prepared from this herb.
Ashwagandha is considered as a rasayana and is widely used in Ayurvedic medicine. It is sometimes referred to as 'Indian Gensing' as it is traditionally used in conditins of debility, emaciation, impotence, premature ageing. The translation of 'Ashwagandha' is roughly the 'smella and strength of a horse' referreing to its aphrodisiac properties, Ashwagandha is used to balance Vata dosha. Ashwagandha is rich in iron and alkaloids, glyco withanoloids and numerous other substances. The main effect of Ashwagandha is to restore strength and vigour. It rejuvenates and tonifies the entire system, especially the endopcrine and immune system.It is used to cambat stress.
Home Remedies Receipes
- Taking Ashwagandha powder with milk, ghee or water cures weakness in children, weakness in old people and reduces the aging process.
- Mix half a spoon of Ashwagandha with Amla juice and consume daily. It helps you to maintain the youthfulness and remain young.
- Mix half a spoon of Ashwagandha powder, honey, sugar candy and ghee and consume it after food. You can also mix Ashwagandha with Gokshur powder and consume daily. After taking the medicine, take a cup of warm milk. It helps rejuvanate body and nerves.
- To improve memory power, Brahmi, shatavari, Shankavali, Jesthmadh and Aswagandha powder ½ tbs each mix it and take three times a day with milk.
- To increase sexual desire and functions, Take 1 tsp Ashwagandha root powder in 1 glass of milk.
- To maintain hormonal balance, Take ½ tbs of Ashwagandha, ½ tbs of Shatavari add in milk and drink. One can add few straps of Safforn and drink.
Ashwagandha, Amla Juice, Honey, Sugar, Gokshur, Milk, Shatavari, Safforn
Withania somnifera, Physalis flexuosa
Ashwagandha, Winter Cherry, Ashgandh, Achuvagandi, Amikkira-gadday, Amkulang-kalang, Amukkira-kilzhangu, Amukran-kizhangu, Asagandha, Asana, Asgandh, Asundha, Asvagandhi, Fatarfoda, Hirimaddina-gadday, Hirre-gadday, Penneroo-gadda, Pevette, Sogade-beru