Methi is an herbaceous annual plant grown for its leaves and seeds which are used as a herb or spice. The methi plant may have a single stem or may be branched at the stem base. The leaves of the plant are small and trifoliate with oveal leaflets which are gree in color. The plant produces solitary pale white or purplish flowers and a straight or occasionally curved yellow pod which houses seeds. Methi can reach a height of 60 cms and as an annual , survives only one growing season. Methi leaves can be used fresh or dried as a culinary herb. The seeds are used as a spice & for medicinal use.
Methi seeds (Fenugreek) has been used in many traditional medicines as a laxative, digestive and as a remedy for cold and cough. It balances the vata and kapha dosha. Methi seeds contain saponins and alkaloids that helps normalize blood sugar levels. Its componenets have been extensively studied for ameliorating most metabolic symptoms associated with typi-1 and type-2 diabetes. It is shown to be useful in increase of breast milk production. Methi seeds are a very good source of soluble dietary fiber. It helps control cholesterol levels.
Home Remedies Receipes
- 3 g methi powder twice a day with warm water help in controlling blood sugar levels, helps reduce cholesterol, aids in weight loss, increases breast milk production in lactating women etc.
- A paste of methi seed powder with coconut oil applied to hair, kept for 1 hour and then washed helps in hair growth and controlling dandruff.
- For Joint Pain - Take half teaspoon Methi seed powder, 1/4 tspn. Sunthee powder, and half teaspoon garlic juice and take a pinch of asafoetida. Mix these ingredients and you can add one teaspoon of turmeric powder. Take this mixture 3 times a day.
- For Rheumatoid arthritis-Take Turmeric powder 1 tspn, Sunthee powder ¼ tspn, Black pepper powder ¼ tspn, Asafoetida 1 pinch and Methi seed ½ tspn. Mix well and drink it twice a day with water.
- For menstrual discomfort - Take Sunthee Powder ¼ Cup, Methi Seed Powder & 2 Tablespoons Cow Ghee
Methi powder, Coconut oil, Sunthee powder, garlic juice, asafoetida, turmeric powder, Black pepper powder
Trigonella foenum graecum
Methi, Fenugreek, Menthya, uluwa, ulujaal