Neem tree is native to India and the Indian subcontinents. It grows in tropical and semi-tropical regions. It is a fast growing tree that can reach a height of 15-20 mtrs.. It is evergreen tree, may shed the leaves in drought conditions. The branches are wide and spreading. the opposite pinnate leaves are 20-40 cms long. The petioles are short. The flowers are arranged in nore-or-less droping axillary panicles which are upto 25 cms long. The fruit is smooth, oval like drupe which varies in shape from elongate oval to nearly roundish. the fruit skin is thin and the bitter-sweet pulp is yellowish-white and very fibrous. The white, hard inner shelf of the fruit encloses one, rearely tow to three elongated seeds having a brown seed coat.
Neem is called 'Arista' in Sanskrit which mean imperishable. It balances the Pitta & Kapha dosha. It contains both alkaloids and liminoids which have medicinal properties. Neem is considered to be a powerful blood purifier and detoxifier. It promotes Healthy skin and wound healing. Neem also helps maintain healthy circulatory, digestive, respiratory and urinary system. It supports normal functioning of dermal and circulatory system.
Home Remedies Receipes
- For Acne, make a paste by grinding 10-12 neem leaves, apply the paste on affected areas for 15 minutes and wash with normal water.
- 1-2 g Neem powder with warm water or milk has anti inflammatory properties and helps to reduce arthritic pain.
- For constipation-Take 1 tbs of Simhadanti root powder(Dandelion), take 6 leaves of neem add both in to half cup of water and boil it. Let it cool off and then drink. You can make tea of these herbs.
- For wound healing- Take 1 tbs of Sesame seeds (Til ), 12 Neem leaves roasted with Castor oil and grinded with Turmeric and little Camphor, can be used as an homemade ointment.
- For eczema - Take 1 tbs of turmeric powder and make a paste of 20 bitter neem leaves. Mix both and apply this paste to the affected areas.
Neem leaves, Neem powder, Simhadanti root powder, Sesame seeds, castor oil, camphor, turmeric powder
Neem, Neem tree, Indian Lilac, Margosa Tree, Arishta, Arishtha, Bead Tree, Holy Tree, Nimb, Nim, Nimba