Tulsi is a widely grown sacred plant of India. It is a religious plant of many Hindu homes, temples and farms. Its role is as a healing herb with sacred implications, so it is called as Traditional wellness herb. It is a sweet strongly scented herb, 30-50 cms in height. Leaves have petioles and are ovate upto 5 cms, sometimes slightly toothed, The floers are purplish. Their are varieties of Tulsi such as Krishna tulsi (one with reddish leaves), Shri tulsi (one with green leaves), Vana tulsi (Ocimum gratissimim) (
Texts of Ayurveda describe the properties of tulsi as follows. It is light to digest and dries tissue secretions. Tulsi tastes hot and bitter. It can penetrate deep tissues and has anti helmenthic properties. Due to these properties it normalizes kapha and vata. Leaves, flowers, seeds and roots of Tulsi are used in ayurvedic preparations. Leaves are expectorant. Juice of leaves are used as diaphoretic, antiperiodic and stimulating expectorant and used in catarrhal and bronchitis, dropped into the ear acts as remedy for earache. Infusion of leaves is used as stomachic in gastric disorders of children and in hepatic affections. Dried leaves are powdered and used as snuff in ozaena. Seeds are demulcent and used in disorders of the genitourinary system. Decoction of roots is used as a diaphoretic in malarial fevers.
Home Remedies Receipes
- For cancer - Mix 1 tspn. Tuls powder with 1 tspn. Triphala powder & drink. It is very effective in Cancer treatment.
- . For cracked heels - Blend Turmeric powder, Tulsi powder and camphor in equal proportions. Mix all these ingredients with Aloe Vera gel and make it in a paste like consistency. Apply this paste on the heels and leave it for 20 minutes. Wash your heels with moderate warm water.
- For allergies - Take 10 leaves of Tulsi (basil), make a paste of it with the juice of one piece of ginger, add one teaspoon honey. Take this concoction six or eight times a day.
- For asthama - Take 10 leaves of Tulsi (basil leaves) make a paste of it with the juice of one piece of ginger, add one teaspoon honey.
- . For anti ageing - Take 1 tbs juice of Amla powder, 1 tbs juice of Tulsi powder, 1 tbs Turmeric powder and 1 tbs honey. Mix it well and have it in the morning empty stomach for the best result.
Tulsi powder, ulsi leaves, Triphala powder, Honey, Gingerm Amla powder, Turmeric powder
Ocimum sanctum, Ocimum gratissimim
Tulsi, Thulasi, Holy Basil, Tulshi, Trittavu